Instructions for Commenting

1) Make up a name--don't use your real name.
2) Make sure to put your fake name in your comment somewhere.
3) Use the same fake name each time so we all know who's saying what.
4) Regular commenters will be included in the Friends of the Warren list.

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

...Try, Try Again.

My NYC trip two weekends ago was an application of the proverb:  If at first you don't succeed, try, try again.

New York City Depositions and Me
Several years ago, I was assigned to do an emergency deposition.  The assignment came to me on the morning before the day the deposition was actually scheduled.  Seeing as how the deposition was scheduled to start at 9:00 a.m. EST on a Friday, and I received my assignment at 9:00 a.m. PST (at the earliest) on Thursday, I had less than 24 hours to acquaint myself with the relevant issues, assemble exhibits, and fly across the country.

Because my ticket was bought on short notice, it was slim pickings as far as seats were concerned.  I was booked on the red-eye in the middle seat of the last row, which did not recline.  During my entire flight, I had my light on so that I could work.  My neighbors were just ecstatic to have me sitting next to them.  Well, I finally made it to NYC at around 6 a.m., and checked into my hotel by around 7:30 a.m.  I decided to take a quick shower to wash off the travel before heading to my deposition location.  When I got out of the shower, there was a voicemail waiting for me--"Come home.  The depo's cancelled."

Right?

So, when on my Friday flight to NYC two weekends ago, my middle seat malfunctioned and refused to recline, I took that as an omen.  I just knew that something would go wrong.  Sure enough, late that night on Friday, I was informed that the witness's flight back into town was cancelled due to storms and his deposition, scheduled to begin at 9 a.m. the next day, could not start until 2 p.m.  At the time, I tried to contact the court reporter and videographer to see if they could stay late on Saturday but no dice.  Nobody called me back to confirm.  Luckily, they were able to stay late and I was able to complete my first NYC deposition!  When at first I didn't succeed, I tried, tried again.  Here are the people who made it happen: the videographer, the stenographer, and the receptionist.

(Note:  Some of you might recall that I once took a deposition in NYC successfully but you'd be wrong.  It was in Brooklyn.)

Kalbi and Me
When I was in NYC this last time, I stayed in Koreatown.  My first time!  When in Koreatown, must eat Korean food.  Freelance Midget recommended two places for me--Don's Bogam and Kunjip.  Kunjip was described as "more authentic."  My first night there, I tried my darndest to eat at Kunjip!  I really did.  When I got there, the line was out the door and past the door of the neighboring restaurant.  So I wandered around, saw the New York Public Library (*claps!!*), wondered why the streets of New York are lined with trash bags, and when I circled back to Kunjip, there was still a line out the door!  By this time, my nonmach could not take it anymore, so I went to Don's Bogam.  I feasted on the fried potstickers (love the sesame seeds in the sauce) and the kalbi bimbopereebop (short ribs and rice in a hot stone pot).  All of this came with side dishes of various pickled vegetables, including, of course, kimchi.  But, this was the first time I've ever seen kimchi presented in a neat stack.  Here is what the full meal looks like.

I was rather disappointed that I did not get the chance to sample the "more authentic" Kunjip, but this was before I knew about the Fortunate Incident of the Witness' Cancelled Flight.  That caused me to have to change my return flight from Saturday night to Sunday morning, meaning that I got one more night in NYC and a second chance to eat at Kunjip!

When at first I didn't succeed, I tried, tried again.  This time, there was just a short line outside the restaurant, but once I gained entry, I was placed in an internal line.  Very tricksy and false.  But that's okay because it gave me the chance to look at how people were eating the kalbi.  The night before, when I failed to have kalbi (I only had the stone pot kalbi and not the cooked-at-your-table kalbi), Midge texted me so many times to chastise me.  She even insisted that I get up at 3am to go eat at the 24-hours Kunjip.  Again, I was given a variety of sides, including the very important and tasty shredded green onions in sauce (left side of photo) and the bean paste.  Most interesting was the egg omelet(?), which appeared at my table boiling to the brim of its little stone pot.  This was not a boiled egg but a BOILING EGG.  While I waited for the helpers to cook the kalbi at my table, I ate from my extra order of seafood japchae (stir fried glassy noodles).  Once the kalbi was done, I wrapped it in a piece of lettuce, put in some of the bean paste, shredded green onions, and a bit of kimchee and, voila!, ready to eat!  The food was very yummy but I have to say that I cannot fully enjoy this type of interactive meal without friends.  It was a bit lonely.  At the end, I was given a small cup of iced tea.  I almost didn't drink it but when I tried it, wow.  I honestly think it was as good as the kalbi.  It was cinnamon-y, delicately sugared, and icey cold.  I asked the waiter if there was actually cinnamon in it.  He said there was and seemed to appreciate that I noticed how good the tea was and cared enough to ask about it.  I told him how much I enjoyed it and mourned the fact that it was not available in supermarkets.  He then gave me a wink and brought over a larger glass!  What a great way to complete my kalbi experience.

So, if at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

7 comments:

  1. Galbilicious! Glad you got the larger glass of iced tea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. NN, 你真的知道如何享受人生 Wahtoh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ^^Translation: NN, you really know how to enjoy life. Wahtoh

      Thanks, Wahtoh! Those dinners in Koreatown really brightened up the trip.

      Delete
  3. i miss cl. panic (et al).



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too, Mr. NN. They'll be back! I just have to be consistent with my posts.

      Delete
  4. Such a Hard Worker, Nonny! Sounds like you spent more time taste-testing than litigating! :)

    -Man from U.N.C.L.E.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's not my fault that the Federal Rules of Procedure limit depositions of a witness to 7 hours in one day...

    ReplyDelete