Instructions for Commenting

1) Make up a name--don't use your real name.
2) Make sure to put your fake name in your comment somewhere.
3) Use the same fake name each time so we all know who's saying what.
4) Regular commenters will be included in the Friends of the Warren list.

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Lobster Safari (and Wedding)

This weekend, I went on a lobster safari. The lobster's natural habitat is on the East Coast, and one of the best known lobster preserves is located in and around the town of Boston. Green Thumbs and L. Woods accompanied me on this quest, but L. Woods arrived a day early to scope out the place.

GTM and I flew from San Jose to Boston, careful to sit in non-adjacent seats so as not to tip off the lobsters. Lobsters are very sensitive creatures and often detect trouble with their long antennae. This was my first lobster safari but I did my homework in advance, mostly in the form of daydreaming about the moment when I would meet my first lobster face to face, antennae to ears, mano y mano.
The morning of the safari, GTM and I woke up at the crack of dawn (9-ish) and prepared ourselves physically to confront the feisty lobster. I ran on the treadmill, and GTM read a book about a girl who kicked the hornet's nest (presumably in case we encounter any hornets on the way to the lobster lair). L. Woods felt that the best way to prepare for the safari was to go back to sleep for another hour.
During that hour, GTM and I warmed up and each purchased a lobster roll next door at the James Hook Lobster Aquarium. Here's what it looked like:
Look at the chunks of lobster in that baby!

Then, it was time to go on the actual hunt. We took a 30 minute ferry to The Lobster Island, attended Cl. Panic's and A-dog's beautiful wedding ceremony, and were led to a table of lobster torture instruments. When our table was called, I shot up like a rocket and stealthily slithered over to the lobster lair. Upon reaching the lair, I pointed at an unsuspecting lobster and exclaimed, "I'll take that one!" He didn't know what hit him!

I slung the slain lobster over my shoulder and dragged it back to our table. There, I eschewed the instruction sheet and relied purely on my predatory instincts to take apart the beast, limb by limb.

Afterward, we all enjoyed a wonderfully timed sunset.



The Nus wish Cl. Panic and A-dog much happiness and contentment in their life together!

10 comments:

  1. I believe NN's exact words when she "eschewed the instruction sheet" were as follows:

    "No thank you, I will rely on my predator instincts."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, L. Woods! We had so much fun on that safari! I discovered that I am a natural predator of the lobster. You got sleep (finally). And, Green Thumbs McGillicutty almost danced all night!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, it was a very successful trip! Don't forget my three-point watermelon rind throw!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, how could I forget that? It happened right after the cupcake jumped to its death.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha! The watermelon rind was more fortunate than the cupcake. Also, I didn't earn any points for the cupcake toss!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You people crack us up! Thanks for making the trip :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are very welcome, Panic. Aren't you supposed to be on your honeymoon?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Green Thumbs McGillicuttyAugust 3, 2010 at 5:19 PM

    I don't remember the watermelon rind toss. I was probably too busy mingling! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, did I mention that GTM and I inadvertantly packed matching safari outfits? Click HERE.

    ReplyDelete
  10. NN,your statement of "I discovered that I am a natural predator of the lobster" is such an understatement..... If I know you well, you are a natural predator of countless things. Ha ha.... Glad you guys have a good time. That sandwich does look delicious. Yum! Wah Toh

    ReplyDelete