Instructions for Commenting

1) Make up a name--don't use your real name.
2) Make sure to put your fake name in your comment somewhere.
3) Use the same fake name each time so we all know who's saying what.
4) Regular commenters will be included in the Friends of the Warren list.

Sunday, August 22, 2010

Happy Birthday to Wah Toh!


Dear Wah Toh,

Normally, for birthdays, I find a nice cake and post it on the blog.  However, I feel that fish ball noodle soup is the best thing for you.  You (and I) would love it much more than a piece of cake.  The problem is, I haven't been able to find a picture of the kind of fish ball noodle soup that Uncle Ball used to make.  You know, the kind where the soup is clear and fresh, there are pits of cilantro floating on the top.  The noodles lurking under the surface whispered, "Eat me, eat me!"  The best part was the fish balls.  Uncle Ball's fish ball noodle soup had sliced fish balls, and each slice was lightly fried.  That is the key, people, but nobody seems to take the time to make it like that anymore.

So here's my birthday wish for you:  I wish that you will have a wonderful time at the next reunion where you can make Uncle Ball-style fish ball noodle soup!  Here, instead of a cake, I've assembled the main ingredients for you.

Chicken (for broth)
Fish balls
Cilantro
"River" rice noodles
My hands (I'll help!)

nn

6 comments:

  1. Happy birthday, Wah Toh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. happy magnificent golden life annual harvest day!

    88888888

    many longevities!

    :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. "The best part was the fish balls."

    @nonny nu--consider striking from vocabulary.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am only considering striking you right now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow NN, thanks for the birthday recipe of Uncle Ball's Fish Ball noodle soup. Those were the good old days when you were still innocent enough to be able to tell the difference between green onion and cilantro. Anyway, cilantro it will be for the next reunion. Yes slightly-fried is really the key thing. One more thing is the YUT DIG LAT CHIU CHONG (one drop of chilli sauce). That was all you could handle at that age. How time flies........ Now you become the LAT CHIU CHAY, ha ha. I'll even throw in one piece of LOU DAU FU (soysauce tofu) garnished with sprinkled onion and sesame oil. Don't you wish tomorrow is the reunion? See ya! Wah Toh

    ReplyDelete